Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hairclips for Haiti


Maybe it’s because I’m a native Californian and earthquakes have been in my life since I was a small child. I clearly remember the ‘71 quake in LA like it was yesterday! I was rocked out of my bunk bed, running outside with my brother Mike, watching ripples going down the middle of the street. Those were the “bumps” hitting our homes and rocking us around! It was scary, but no damage, just a pure adrenaline rush.

After last week's massive earthquake in Haiti, and seeing the destruction, turmoil and helpless people, I wanted to do something. I unfortunately don’t own a checkbook that could make a difference at this time, so I got to thinking while on the plane down to Los Angeles, getting ready for the Boom Boom Room celebrity gifting suite. What a perfect vehicle to begin a fundraiser!

So on Friday and Saturday, January 15th and 16th, I created my plan, to help those in need in Haiti, and to donate proceeds of purchases made from No Slippy Hair Clippy to UNICEF and Save the Children charities. I asked every celebrity we met for their email address so that I could send them a link for this effort. I stressed that I wanted them to share this link with all their friends who have girls, and would want to make a meaningful purchase. The email list looks decent, and I’m now planning the details to send out the link this week.

Most importantly, it’s not about how much we can raise for Haiti, (because I’m simply not sure what this email fundraiser will bring), but it’s the idea that we’re doing something, even a small gesture, to make a difference. I’m a true believer that if everyone makes small contributions, the sum can be worthwhile. We’re small by ourselves, but giants when we unite.

If you would like to join us, please visit hairclippy.com. Each purchase will extend much-needed help for Haiti. You may also visit UNICEF or Save the Children to make donations.

Image from www.sxc.hu.

No comments:

Post a Comment