Friday, July 9, 2010

Questions Before the Cut


We have all been through it before: we step into a salon, get a shiny new hair style, and then we go home. And the next morning, no matter how we style our hair, we can't seem to replicate that fresh-from-the-salon-look. Or worse, we realize that the cut doesn't complement our face shapes or is too high-maintenance that it doesn't fit our lifestyles.

According to Harry Josh, International Creative Consultant for John Frieda, your hairdresser is a goldmine of hair info and you're cheating yourself if you don't grill him/her for styling tips!

So what exactly should you be asking? Here are a few suggestions from Yahoo's Shine! network.

Before the cut:
1. Will this work with my hair type?
2. Will this flatter my face shape?
3. (If you're coloring your hair) Will this work with my skin tone?

During the cut:
4. What shampoo and conditioner do you recommend?
5.
How often should I wash my hair?
6.
Should I use conditioner at all? Just on my ends?

After the cut:
7. What styling products should I use?
8. How much of them should I use?
9. Where should I apply them (roots, ends, all over)?
10. When should I apply them (right after I shower, once hair is somewhat dry)?
11.
What styling tools should I use?
12.
How should I use them? (Ask her to walk you through the styling processes step-by-step.)
13.
What are some other ways I can style this cut? Any tricks for days I'm feeling lazy?

Now that's a more productive way of spending time while in the salon! Then maybe you can continue with the celebrity gossip afterwards :)

Model is wearing No Slippy Hair Clippy's Wendy Clip. Photographed by Amanda Elkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment